Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
This originally came from one of my aunts years and years ago. My mom and I thought we'd lost it, but hoo-ray, we found it today!! Now we won't ever lose it again! (cook time includes rising time)
Top Review by Feej
I really liked this. Next time, however, I think I will add even more herbs (perhaps a couple Tablespoons of Italian herb blend). I wasn't sure if the parmesan cheese was freshly grated, or the canned, so I used both. I used 1/2 cup freshly grated & added 1/4 cup canned. I like the amount of parmesan, so I will do that again next time. Very flaky, delicate bread. Thank you very much for sharing this lovely recipe.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, dried and crushed
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope fast rise yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup golden flavour Crisco shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon golden flavour Crisco shortening
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set aside 1 cup of flour. Mix remaining flour, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, sugar, onion salt, celery salt, oregano, and yeast.
- Combine water, milk, and 1/3 cup shortening in a saucepan and heat just until boiling. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Add egg and mix in enough of the reserved flour to make a stiff dough.
- Divide between 2 greased 1-quart (1 liter) loaf pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until almost double -- about 30 minutes.
- Brush loaves with 1 tablespoons melted shortening and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.