1 hr 20 mins
This is a delicious, savory breakfast casserole. Got it from "Metropolitan Home" magazine back in 1990. It is a little different from most make-ahead strata dishes, being made from English muffins, instead of bread, and Gruyere, instead of cheddar. Tastes a bit like a dry fondue- great with a green salad for a brunch entree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 6 whole English muffins, torn into small pieces (I like Thomas' brand best for texture)
- 5 ounces grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces grated or shredded gruyere cheese (or Jarlsberg)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (1/2 tsp if you're grating it yourself)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- paprika (to garnish)
- 1Grease a 3 1/2 quart casserole dish with the butter.
- 2Put the muffin pieces into the casserole.
- 3Sprinkle with 3/4 of the grated cheeses and toss to combine.
- 4Beat eggs, milk and seasonings until well blended.
- 5Pour over the muffins and cheese.
- 6Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and dust with paprika.
- 7Refrigerate overnight, if desired.
- 8The day you are baking, preheat oven to 350.
- 9Bake at 350 until puffed and golden and a knife inserted comes out clean, about 45 minutes for a room-temperature casserole.
- 10Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan Gruyere Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.4
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 218.9 mg
- Sodium 886.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 21.7 g