Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While at my DS's house, we played with our favorite Garlic Herb Challah #166356 and came up with this yummy version using cracked black pepper and Parmesan cheese. Although written here for mixing by hand (they are afraid to buy a bread maker for fear of turning into a 3-loaf-of-bread-per-week family. I understand their angst! ;D) you could pile everything into the Automatic Bread Machine and relax
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (room temp to warm, not ice cold)
- 2 teaspoons yeast (or one packet)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Once foamy add
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
The Dry Ingredients
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour (my favorite is still King Arthur)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning, blend (or 1 t each of basil, thyme and rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
Just before baking
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- In a bowl or large measuring cup combine the water, sugar and yeast. Stir to mix. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, herbs, salt, pepper and Parmesan. Stir to mix.
- Add the oil and the garlic to the yeast-water mix. Stir to mix.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients. Stir to mix thoroughly. A dough ball will form.
- Knead dough in bowl or lightly floured surface for about 8 minutes.
- When finished kneading, coat all sides of the ball of dough with the 1T extra olive oil. Let rest in a draft free place (inside the oven will work) for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours -- until the dough has doubled in volume.
- After that, 'punch down' the dough and knead briefly.
- Form into loaf, place in baking pan (I line the pan with parchment paper so it doesn't stick to the pan) and let rest again for about 40 - 50 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine egg and water by whisking with fork. This is your 'egg wash'.
- Using a soft basting brush or pastry brush, paint loaf with egg wash. If you are using the sesame seeds, sprinkle them on top now. Make 1 long superficial slice down the middle of the loaf or 4 diagonal slices.
- Bake for about 33 - 35 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Enjoy with Italian foods, as toast or later on, dry and use as croutons.
Wonderful! Very easy to make. Will always be on our favorites list.