Prep 12 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple & oh so tasty. A great one to serve with a big bowl of soup!
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 30 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, snipped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- grated parmesan cheese (extra)
- Sift flour into a bowl, rub in butter with fingertips, stir in cheese, chives & garlic.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture, add combined water & milk all at once reserving about 2 teaspoons.
- Mix quickly to a soft dough, turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead gently & form into 6 rounds.
- Arrange on a baking paper lined tray. Cut a cross in the top of each roll & brush with remaining milk mixture, sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake at 220.C for 15-20 mins or until hollow when tapped.
What a great recipe, Mandy! We all loved these garlicky and yummy rolls! They had a lovely soft interior and were so crunchy on the top. YUM!
For an extra garlic touch, I used some garlic butter in place of the ordinary one and it turned out fab!
I made half the recipe, which gave me 3 big rolls. They needed 5 more minutes in the oven than stated, but other than that were perfect.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this superb recipe with us, Mandy!
Made and reviewed for Zaar Stars November 2010.
We had this with Crock Pot Beef Stew by Katzen which was perfect to mop up the juices. I did add 3 cloves of garlic but the flavour still did no come through (we love our garlic). Would suggest just 3/4 cup of milk/water total, had to add about 1/4 cup of flour to get to a soft dough. Thoroughly enjoyed and DH has asked to be served again (with extra garlic) with stew/casserole. Thank you Mandy from Oz.
The flavor was excellent, however I had problems with the dough when adding the liquid it wasn't enough and I had to add more.I like the addition of the fresh chives that was a really nice addition. Other than my own issues with the water, which has no bearing on the recipe itself they were excellent! We enjoyed them with a bowl of clam chowder. Thanks for a great one!