Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty twist to an old favourite. Fresh parmesan is of course preferable but the bottled variety works fine.
- 8 large spinach leaves, stems included
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Chop spinach leaves and slice stems in thin strips crosswise.
- Peel, quarter and slice onion.
- Sweat onion and spinach stems in vegetable oil until onions become translucent.
- Meanwhile, beat together the flour, parmesan, egg and buttermilk/yogurt to homogenous consistency in a suitable bowl or jug.
- Add chopped spinach leaves to onion mixture and cook over high heat until spinach turn dark green and wilted.
- Transfer spinach mixture to ovenproof dish, add parmesan mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Cook in microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar on top and place under pre-heated grill until cheese is bubbly and brown spots develop.
- serve hot.