Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very elegant dish that takes very little effort but looks beautiful. You can serve as an appetizer or side dish, or pair it with a soup and/or salad for a light meal. From Cooking Light Magazine (July 2008).
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat 4 (6-ounce) custard cups or ramekins with cooking spray. Place 3 tablespoons flour in a medium bowl. Gradually add milk to bowl, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Add egg whites and eggs; stir well. Add Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; stir well. Divide mixture evenly among prepared custard cups. Place custard cups in a 9-inch square baking pan; add hot water to the pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until puffy and set.
- Combine tomato, dash of salt, and dash of pepper in a medium bowl. Loosen edges of flans with a knife or rubber spatula. Place a plate, upside down, on top of each cup; invert onto plates. Spoon 1/2 cup tomato mixture over each flan. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon basil.