Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes, they are smoky and cheesy. This is my own recipe from my blog: www.pickypalate.blogspot.com
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes, firm and cold
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, Tillamook preferred
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir together the mashed potatoes and smoked cheddar then scoop about ¼ Cup mashed potatoes and form into equal size small patties.
- Combine parmesan cheese and flour into a shallow dish and press potato patties into mixture.
- In batches, place patties into hot skillet and cook for 2-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve warm with ranch dressing if desired.
GREAT, GREAT POTATO PATTIES/CAKES, & a big hit with my veggie son & his wife, too! I did slice a green onion (white & green altogether) then included the other ingredients as listed & served them for a very satisfying breakfast! Your recipe is a definite make-again-&-again kind of thing ~ Thanks so much for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees at the tail end of the current Pick A Chef]
Very good potato cakes. I think I would have liked them more with a little green onion or chives, however nice as is. I do like the flavor of the smoked cheddar in these. Thanks for posting! Made for Spring 2009 PAC
These are very good. My mashed potatoes weren't quite firm enough, so after fighting to keep a couple of these together, I stirred the remaining flour mixture into the potatoes and just dropped scoops of the mixture into the pan, allowing it to spread as it cooked. The resulting potato cakes were very good. My 4 year old loved them, both with and without the ranch dressing. It's important to make sure the mashed potatoes are well seasoned. I'd like to try these with some green onions and chives mixed into the potatoes. I used Spanish Manchego cheese instead of the parmesan, and regular cheddar cheese instead of smoked cheddar. Made for Fall 08 PAC. Thanks for posting.