This is a mish-mash of several recipes, so if you see something familiar, I probably borrowed the idea!
- Preheat oven to 350. Put butter in baking dish and place in oven to melt.
- Crush croutons.
- Mix crushed croutons, parmesan, flour, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise on each side of each chop.
- Dredge covered chops in crouton mixture and coat thoroughly.
- Mince garlic into the butter and spread it out.
- Place chops over garlic and bake 15-18 minutes per side.
- * I'm a brand snob. My very favorite croutons are Rothbury Farms seasoned croutons (in the red package), and I used Hellmann's olive oil mayo.
I read someone else's review that said the pork chops were gooey, so I tried spraying them with cooking spray on both sides after coating them with Mayo and crumb mixture. I baked them on a rack and tried broiling them until they were browned, but the crust was still gooey and fell off. Next time I will dip them in egg, roll them in crumbs and brown them quickly prior to baking. Tasted good, though. Breading is just not crispy enough.
Very good flavor! I will definitely be making this again.
This was a very good dinner for a family. If I were to make it again, I would have fried the breaded pork chops in a pan first to make the breading crispier, so it holds up to the butter in the baking dish and doesn't get soggy. But overall very good, definitely a keeper.