Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw a recipe similar to this by Giada, and tweaked it a little. With this you can make your own Italian bread crumbs and it's baked instead of fried. No time to make your own bread crumbs? You can use 1 1/2 cups packaged dried Italian-style bread crumbs. You can use grated parmesean in a pinch if you need to and it's still out of this world.
- To make Italian bread crumbs: Take 6 slices of bread (white is best with this, heels are fine) and lay them on a baking sheet. Melt 2 TBS butter and add 1 TBS Italian seasoning to the melted butter. Blend together then brush atop the slices of bread. Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 200 degree oven, flipping them over once. Don't brown or toast, just make them very dry. Slice off the crusts, and break up. Place in food processor and process until you have fine bread crumbs. You can make these a day ahead and leave them out on the counter uncovered to further dry out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour just enough flour to use as a dredge into pie plate or medium sized bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a pie plate or medium sized bowl to blend.
- Place the bread crumbs in another pie plate or bowl.
- Lightly salt and pepper both sides of chops.
- Lightly dredge chops through flour, gently shaking off excess.
- Dip the chops into the eggs, coating them well and evenly.
- Coat chops completely with the bread crumbs, patting to adhere.
- Place chops on lightly greased baking dish or a broiler pan.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.