1/3 Photos of Parmesan Crusted Chicken
miss gracie's Note:
Originally from Cuisine magazine, here is a wonderful way to prepare otherwise boring boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The crust on this chicken is delicious and the sage-butter sauce is divine! Excellent served with roasted new potatoes. Don't be intimidated by the number of ingredients or steps - it truly is simple to prepare. Prep time includes "resting" time for the crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 egg whites
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juice of (half for chicken, half in sauce)
- 236.59 ml coarse dry breadcrumbs (preferably homemade using rustic-type bread)
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml ground pepper
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 44.37 ml olive oil
For the sauce
- 1For the chicken: Lightly pound chicken breasts to an even 1/2 inch thickness.
- 2Blend egg whites, cornstarch, and half lemon juice with a fork in a wide, shallow dish.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, and zest in a second wide, shallow bowl.
- 5Individually dip chicken brests first in egg mixture, then in crumbs.
- 6Pat crumbs on both sides of chicken- it's ok if some crumbs fall off.
- 7Set crusted breasts on a wire rack for 20 to 30 minutes to set crust.
- 8After 20 to 30 minutes, saute chicken in oil in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- 9Carefully turn with a spatula and transfer skillet to a 450 degree oven to finish cooking.
- 10Roast chicken until done, about 8 more minutes.
- 11While chicken is roasting, prepare sauce.
- 12For the sauce: Saute shallot in 1 T butter in a small saucepan over medium heat just until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13Add wine, cream, broth, and remaining lemon juice.
- 14Simmer until reduced by half, 8-10 minutes.
- 15Whisk in remaining butter, one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly.
- 16Add sage and seasonings.
- 17Place roasted chicken on a plate and top with sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.0
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 165.4 mg
- Sodium 1015.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 37.2 g