Recipe by miss gracie
Originally from Cuisine magazine, here is a wonderful way to prepare otherwise boring boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The crust on this chicken is delicious and the sage-butter sauce is divine! Excellent served with roasted new potatoes. Don't be intimidated by the number of ingredients or steps - it truly is simple to prepare. Prep time includes "resting" time for the crust.
For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juice of (half for chicken, half in sauce)
- 1 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs (preferably homemade using rustic-type bread)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth (or regular)
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed (divided use)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the chicken: Lightly pound chicken breasts to an even 1/2 inch thickness.
- Blend egg whites, cornstarch, and half lemon juice with a fork in a wide, shallow dish.
- Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, and zest in a second wide, shallow bowl.
- Individually dip chicken brests first in egg mixture, then in crumbs.
- Pat crumbs on both sides of chicken- it's ok if some crumbs fall off.
- Set crusted breasts on a wire rack for 20 to 30 minutes to set crust.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, saute chicken in oil in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully turn with a spatula and transfer skillet to a 450 degree oven to finish cooking.
- Roast chicken until done, about 8 more minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, prepare sauce.
- For the sauce: Saute shallot in 1 T butter in a small saucepan over medium heat just until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine, cream, broth, and remaining lemon juice.
- Simmer until reduced by half, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk in remaining butter, one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly.
- Add sage and seasonings.
- Place roasted chicken on a plate and top with sauce.