Recipe by Annz Recipez
This is a scrumptious biscuit recipe, moist with a bit of crunch from the cornmeal. Add green chile or chopped jalapenos and substitute shredded sharp cheddar cheese for a southwestern twist.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix first 7 ingredients (flour through baking soda) in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into small bits and mix in with 2 knives or use your fingers to blend until butter is blended in and mixture is a coarse meal.
- Add parmesan cheese and mix until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and yogurt until smooth.
- Add egg/yogurt mixture to flour mixture. Stir well to mix into a moist, thick batter.
- Turn batter onto a well-floured surface and sprinkle with flour.
- Roll to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and cut into shapes.
- Bake at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes or until nicely browned on top.