Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderfully thick, delicious and comforting corn chowder that is a snap to put together.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, plus
- enough water, to equal two cups liquid
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 6 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir into the vegetable/broth mixture.
- Add corn and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Great recipe. My family loved it, and it was very easy and quick to make. Thank you!
I have to admit that I was expecting this chowder to be little tasteless and just blah...but I was wrong! This dish is creamy, thick and has just enough seasoning to compliment, not cover up the corn flavor. I did alter the recipe by removing half the potato/carrot mixture after boiling to puree it in my blender, then returned it to the pot. I think this helped increase the creaminess. Thanks Shelbyrose!!!
shelbyrose, This has got to be the Ultimate comfort food,it is OMG GOOD.it was so creamy and so full of taste.And so easy to make.Thank you So Much,Darlene