Recipe by Barb in WNY
A microwave cheese sauce to be tried.
Top Review by michelebelle
Used this recipe to make an impromptu mac & cheese. I had left over (gluten-free) plain elbow macaroni. I substituted margarine and doubled the cheese. I had about two cups of cooked macaroni. I poured the sauce over the macaroni and baked for about 20 minutes. It was quite tasty! I really like the subtle kick of the white pepper. But I do recommend doubling the cheese. 1/3 cup is just not enough to make it cheesy.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter in a 2- cup measure and microwave on HIGH to melt. Stir in flour, pepper, mustard, and paprika, then whisk in milk.
- Microwave at 70% for 3 to 4 minutes, or until thickened, Stir in cheese. Serve hot.
- Wonderful served over steamed vegetables.
- For mock Pasta Carbonara; stir crisp crumbled bacon into the sauce and serve over fettuccine.