Recipe by Mimi in Maine
Do you love the smell of bread baking? I do. This bread is wonderful. It makes great toast and smells so good while in the toaster. It also makes great sandwiches. I always use Parmesan cheese but grated cheddar could be used.
- 1 cup milk (scalded)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the milk, sugar, salt, and margarine together.
- In a small bowl mix the warm water (115 degrees) and the yeast; mix well; proof for a few minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture to the above milk mixture.
- Add the cheese.
- Add the flour to the right consistency.
- Knead 100 times.
- Put in a greased bowl and rise in a warm place till double in bulk--about 1 hour.
- Knead again for about 1/2 minute.
- Put into 2 small greased bread pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour being careful not to burn it; if it starts to look too brown, cover it with foil and continue baking.
- NOTE: If you four-times this recipe, it will make 5 good size loaves and will use 2 large Parmesan cheese.