Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Gourmet magazine. "Fried with parmesan coating, humble cauliflower takes on a whole new appeal in this salad; lots of parsley makes it aromatic and refreshing.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley, lossely packed (2 large bunches)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen cauliflower florets, thawed and patted dry or 2 (10 ounce) packagesfresh cauliflower
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, finely grated with a rasp (2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, to fry
- In a large bowl, combine lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil until combined. Stir in mushrooms and marinate while making cauliflower.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower and toss until well coated.
- Put cheese in a large bowl. Lift cauliflower out of egg mixture with a slotted spoon and transfer to cheese, tossing to coat.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.
- Panfry cauliflower in 3 batches, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- To assemble salad:
- Add parsley and cauliflower to the mushroom mixture, tossing to combine.
Oh I did enjoy this Bright, Light, Refreshing and Conforting Salad. I didn`t feel so guilty about eating fried food! I used just 1 cup of fresh chopped parsley, skipped the salt for the cheese is salty enough in which I added flour to the cheese to cut back on the saltiness even more. Oh I also used fresh cauliflower 1/2 head cut into flowerettes. Thanks!!
Very good, although I didn't use near the amount of parsley that was stated, this is a bit time-consuming and needed some amount adjustments to suit out tastes, all in all it will most likely be a repeater, thanks for sharing Engrossed!...Kitten:)
Surprisingly enough I thought the parsley would take over this salad to the detriment of everything else, but it didn't ~ it was great! I also liked this recipe because it includes uncooked mushrooms, which I much prefer! Many thanks for such a different, & great recipe!