Recipe by Mimi in Maine
I love casserole breads because they are easy and great cut into slices to go with soup. I love Parmesan cheese so I especially like this one. Our whole family loves homemade bread no matter what kind it is. This makes good sandwich material too.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup more flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl combine the first cup of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- In a saucepan heat to about 115-120 degrees the milk, water, butter, and parsley and add this to the above.
- Add the egg that has been beaten and the Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour gradually till you have a stiff dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes and put in a greased bowl and rise once (about 3/4 hour).
- Take out and place in a greased casserole and rise again (about 1/2-3/4 hour).
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.