Recipe by rbrynsaas
Arborio rice is traded out for long grain white rice for this risotto. The results...just as creamy and delicious.
Top Review by Cook4_6
I really enjoyed the addition of carrots to the risotto, however, being a die-hard arborio rice risotto fan...I think next time I will use it instead of the long-grain. This was a good substitute, but the arborio will add a nuttier flavor and texture. Thanks for a new addition to risotto!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 medium carrots, grated
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring broth and 2 cups water to a bare simmer over medium.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add onion and carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in rice. Add wine; cook, stirring, until absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups hot broth, simmer over medium-low, stirring frequently, until mostly absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Continue to add broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring occasionally, until absorbed before adding more. Cook until rice is creamy and just tender, about 20 minutes (you may not need all the broth).
- Rmove risotto from heat. Stir in Parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter, and season with salt and pepper.