Recipe by Manami
Nice to serve with lemon roast chicken and maybe a mixed-vegetable medley. Perfect meal for the diabetic!
Top Review by veggie_gumbo
This sounds really yummy! I'm going to try it with extra virgin olive oil instead of the butter. I like the taste and it would be monosaturated instead of saturated. Butter is yummy, too, but I LOVE olive oil on veggie-rice dishes.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh button mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill or 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- salt, to taste, if needed
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste, if needed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups stock or 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh Italian parsley, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or margarine in heavy non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute shallots, mushrooms and garlic, about 3-4 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in scallions and dill.
- Saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice and saute stirring frquently, until rice begins to crackle.
- Add seasoning, if using.
- Stir in liquids, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover tightly.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.(DON'T REMOVE COVER).
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan until melted.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.