Recipe by ~Nimz~
Clean, refreshing flavors just meant for a balmy summer evening. From Weber's Big Book of Grilling modified for our taste buds. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
FOR THE COATING
- 1⁄2 cup fine Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (you may have some extra left over, depending on the size of your scallops.)
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (Use the good stuff)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 20 large sea scallops (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1⁄2 cup loosley packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the coating ingredients on a plate and mix with your fingers.
- Wash scallops and remove the small, tough side muscle.
- Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and place in a small bowl. (Be sure the scallops are very dry or it will make the breading soagy).
- Add the olive oil and mix to coat.
- Dip the scallops in the coating, turning to cover evenly.
- Gently press the crumbs onto the scallops.
- Place the scallops in a single layer on a clean plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set the crumbs.
- Finely chop the parsley and lemon zest and mix together. Add the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Spray a grill tray generously with olive oil.
- Place the scallops on the grill tray 1-2 inches apart and grill over direct medium heat until just opaque in the center, about 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Treat them gently when turning.
- Remove from the grill, place a little of the garnish onto each scallop and serve warm.