Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
- 2 packages active dry yeast (4-1/2 tsp)
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 3 3⁄4-4 cups all-purpose flour
For glazing bread
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Stir in nonfat dry milk, 1.
- cup cheese, whole egg, oil, sugar, salt, ground red pepper and 3 cups.
- of the flour.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually stir in enough.
- of the remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the side of.
- the bowl.
- Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes,.
- adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough is smooth and.
- elastic and only slightly sticky.
- (Alternatively, the dough can be. mixed and kneaded in a stand up electric mixer fitted with a dough. hook.) Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, and.
- cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in.
- volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured work surface;.
- divide it in half and shape each half into a ball.
- Place balls on an.
- oiled baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise.
- until doubled, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the risen loaves with.
- beaten egg white.
- With a sharp knife, make three 1/2 inch deep.
- slashes in each loaf.
- Sprinkle loaves with the remaining 1 tablespoon.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow.
- when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack.