Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yummy Biscuits from Rick Stein and the BBC website
- 4 1⁄2 ounces butter (chilled & cubed)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces flour
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Rub the butter into the flour, by hand or in a food processor, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the parmesan, seasoning and cayenne pepper.
- Work the mixture together into a ball and then knead briefly on a work surface lightly dusted with flour until smooth.
- Cut the dough in half, flatten each piece slightly, then roll out thinly between 2 large sheets of Saran.
- Lift off the top piece of Saran and cut into 2in biscuits.
- Carefully lift them onto a lightly buttered baking sheet, then knead together and re-roll the trimmings to make more biscuits. You should make about 30 biscuits in total.
- Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden. Leave to cool on the baking sheets. Store in an airtight container.
Absolutely delish!! Made for teachers at my son's school - I had barely left when I received a call to order some. I would have rated it higher . . . .
These are very different from 'biscuits' I'm used to, but that doesn't detract from their great taste & the fact that they go well with soup (Served with a homemade bean soup) or just as a tasty snack! A keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]