Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Pretty dish to serve. The tomato, basil and parmesan cheese combine to make a delicious flavor base for inexpensive beef steak. Delicious!
- 1 lb flank steak, pounded very thin
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground breadcrumbs or 1 1⁄2 cups ground crackers
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil
- kitchen twine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In food processor mix the bread or cracker crumbs, cheese, eggs, herbs and garlic until it forms a paste.
- Brush the pounded flank steak with vegetable oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the paste evenly over the meat.
- Roll the pounded meat tightly and tie with kitchen twine.
- Sear all sides of the meat in a hot skillet or sauté pan.
- Pour tomato sauce or paste in 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Add seared meat to the tomato sauce or paste.
- Cover with a tinfoil tent (do not let tinfoil touch the meat).
- Braise for 1 hour (add 1 hour, if needed for more tenderness).
- Remove from heat, uncover, and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Slice the hot braciole into 1 1/2 inch portions.
- Place parmesan crisp in each serving dish.
- Place a spoonful of tomato sauce on parmesan crisp, top with a braciole round and and more tomato sauce.
Delicious dish. The filling is extremely tasty. Thank you.
This turned out wonderful though I did change it a little...I just used a good tomato basil jarred spaghetti sauce and added wine to it...turned out fabulous...great recipe for company...will impress your guests!