Recipe by MommyMakes
I have not tried this yet, however it took me forever to figure out the recipe for this so I am saving it. I plan on using this for a vegetable lasagna so reserve the cooked vegetables.
Parmesan bechamel sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and finely chop the vegetables. Add the vegetables, spices and milk to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Allow flavors to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Over low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan, remove from heat and stir in flour. Return to heat and cook roux for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reheat flavored milk to almost boiling and strain hot milk into bowl with a spout (like a 2 cup glass measuring cup) pressing against vegetables to extract their juices. (Reserve vegetables for pasta).
- Remove roux from heat and slowly blend in the hot milk, stirring vigourously. Place back on heat and bring to a boil stirring continously until sauce thickens.
- Stir in parmesan cheese until melted and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Salt and Pepper to taste.