Recipe by T.O.M.
Tasty and unexpected -- a novel way to serve asparagus.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Very nice and differant way to serve asparagus, I made this exactly as listed except sprinkled some fresh grated parmesan on the top before baking. Nice firm custard like bake with the wonderful blend of flavors of the cheese and parm. I think it would be even better with fresh asparagus steamed or microwaved prior to baking and maybe add a little salt and pepper. Thanks for a lovely side to our dinner last night. Made for PAC Fall-09
- 1 (15 ounce) can asparagus spears, drained (reserve 2 tbsp liquid)
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tomatoes, sliced (or 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (powdered variety served with pizza)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons water, reserved from asparagus
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt margarine in 8" square baking dish. Use basting brush to coat bottom and sides evenly.
- Arrange asparagus spears in baking dish.
- Using hand mixer, beat eggs lightly. Add garlic salt, sour cream, oil and reserved liquid. Mix well.
- Add flour and parmesan cheese. Combine at low speed, then beat 20-30 seconds on high.
- Pour this batter over the asparagus. Arrange tomato slices (or cherry tomato quarters) on top. Dust tomatoes with garlic salt and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
- Can be doubled and prepared in 9" x 11" dish.