Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of the better Eggplant dishes I've had. The ham really makes all the difference. If you cant find Parma Ham use a nice smoked ham.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 slices parma ham
- 3 sweet bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup freshly ground parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If the eggplants are fresh slice them into 3/4 inch slices, unpeeled.
- If not so fresh peel and then slice.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt and place on 3 layers of paper towels.
- Let stand for 3 hours.
- Remove from wet towels and pat dry.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large heavy skillet-cast iron if youve got it.
- Add a few slices of the eggplant and cook to nicely browned on both sides.
- Repeat until done and add more oil as needed.
- Let the cooked eggplant drain on more paper towels.
- In a medium sized casserole dish make a layer on the bottom with 1/2 of the eggplant, then 1/2 of the ham, 1/2 of the peppers, 1/2 of the oregano, 1/2 of the parmesan and 1/2 of the sauce.
- Salt and pepper lightly and repeat layers.
- Bake for around 40 to 50 minutes or until hot, bubbly and the cheese lightly browned.
This worked really well! I prepared the eggplants es described and layered with the other ingredients. Buonissimo, Grazie! Made for Culinary Quest 2014!
really liked this cakepops on parade
Great Recipe! We really enjoyed it. Although, proscuitto (spelling?) is a better and closer subsitution when Parma Ham is called for.