Recipe by Dib's
This is one of the better Eggplant dishes I've had. The ham really makes all the difference. If you cant find Parma Ham use a nice smoked ham.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 slices parma ham
- 3 sweet bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup freshly ground parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If the eggplants are fresh slice them into 3/4 inch slices, unpeeled.
- If not so fresh peel and then slice.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt and place on 3 layers of paper towels.
- Let stand for 3 hours.
- Remove from wet towels and pat dry.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large heavy skillet-cast iron if youve got it.
- Add a few slices of the eggplant and cook to nicely browned on both sides.
- Repeat until done and add more oil as needed.
- Let the cooked eggplant drain on more paper towels.
- In a medium sized casserole dish make a layer on the bottom with 1/2 of the eggplant, then 1/2 of the ham, 1/2 of the peppers, 1/2 of the oregano, 1/2 of the parmesan and 1/2 of the sauce.
- Salt and pepper lightly and repeat layers.
- Bake for around 40 to 50 minutes or until hot, bubbly and the cheese lightly browned.