Recipe by Missy Wombat
A sticky cake for Guy Fawkes Night (Nov 5th) made especially in the West Riding.It is so popular that, at Leeds and many other places the fifth of November is called Parkin day. There is a similar recipe called Tharf made in South Yorkshire, Lancashire, and Derbyshire.
- 6 ounces treacle
- 3 ounces vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 lb whole wheat flour
- 3 ounces Barbados sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce ground ginger
- 1⁄4 ounce ground nutmeg (can be purchased as cake spice mixed ginger and nutmeg)
- 4 ounces rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm treacle in a heavy based saucepan.
- Rub margarine into flour, add sugar, spice and oats.
- Add this to the warmed treacle and mix thoroughly.
- Press into a greased, flat shallow tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350F/180C.
- When cooked, cut into strips and allow to cool.