Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I must confess, I used a ham bone from last week's ham and threw in some ham. Good stuff. Nice and hearty. Recipe courtesy of www.foodnetwork.com.
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups medium diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
- 1 cup medium diced red boiling potato, unpeeled (3 small)
- 1 lb dried split green peas
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups water
- In a 4 quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, half pound split peas, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Skim off the foam while cooking.
- Add the remaining split peas and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes, or until all the peas are soft.
- Stir frequently to keep the solids from burning on the bottom. Taste for salt or pepper. Serve hot.