Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
My aunt said the one thing she remembered most was Grandma's homemade breads, you could smell the breads baking before you even stepped foot in the house. I will never forget that smell or the taste.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup whole milk, scalded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages compressed yeast cakes
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Add shortening to hot milk,.
- Add salt, sugar, and stir until dissolved.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Crumble yeast into bowl.
- Add milk gradually and stir until dissolved.
- Add eggs and blend.
- Add flour, mix well.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place in bowl, greased with shortening. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Roll dough ½” thick, brush with melted butter.
- Cut with floured biscuit cutter.
- Crease with dull edge of knife a little to one side of center.
- Fold over and press together.
- Brush with butter.
- Place rolls about 1 inch apart in greased pan.
- Cover and let rise until light.
- Bake at 425°F for 20 - 25 minutes.