Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are Parisian-style gnocchi, very different than the traditional Italian potato version and actually easier to prepare. The dough is quickly boiled then baked with cheese, producing airy mouthfuls with a slight crust. To blend in the eggs, use a standing mixer with paddle attachment. Gnocchi dough can be refrigerated overnight before boiling and baking. Recipe is from Food & Wine Magazine. For a more savoury version, add chopped fresh herbs – chervil, chives, parsley and tarragon...
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup gruyere or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons gruyere or 2 tablespoons asiago cheese
- In small saucepan, combine water, salt and nutmeg with 2 tablespoons butter. Bring to boil over high heat. Add flour all at once and beat dough with wooden spoon until thick and comes away from sides of pan. Cook, stirring to dry out dough, about 30 seconds. Transfer dough to medium bowl. Cool 5 minutes.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Set bowl of ice water near stove.
- Beat 1 egg into dough until incorporated. Beat in 1/4 cup cheese and another egg until blended. Beat in last egg until dough is smooth and shiny. With spatula, transfer dough to large resealable plastic bag, pressing it into one corner. Cut tip off bag to create opening 1/2-inch long.
- Reduce boiling water to gentle simmer. Hold bag over water with one hand and squeeze out dough, using small sharp knife to cut it into 1-1/2-inch lengths; let drop into water. Simmer gnocchi 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to ice water. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry.
- Grease 13- by 9-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Scatter gnocchi in dish; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake in preheated 350F oven until puffed, about 25 minutes. Preheat broiler. Broil gnocchi 6 inches from heat until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings.