Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This delicious recipe is very reminiscent of French Bistro cooking. The flavours are elegant but the preparation is quite simple! Try serving it to dinner guests...you won't be sorry!
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Coat chicken with flour, and add salt and pepper to your taste.
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Place chicken in pan, brown on both sides, and cook through; this will take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and saute onions and sliced mushrooms over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add beef broth, lemon juice, tarragon, and artichoke hearts to the pan: heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring gently.
- Stir in brandy or rum, and simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan, and heat through for 5 to 10 minutes.
I liked this alright - but the tarragon was REALLY strong. I think I would have preferred to have only added 1/2 - 1 tablespoon instead of the full 2 tablespoons. Also, as I am not an artichoke fan, I used green beans instead, and they worked fine. If there had been less tarragon, I think I would have really liked it. I will probably try it again with those modifications.
Made this for PAC Spring 2007. The only change I made was to use a jar of marinated artichokes and the oil from that in place of the olive oil. What a great, rich flavour! Thanks for a simple and delicious recipe!