Recipe by BecR
This delectable and simply elegant Parisian Style Bistro salad of fresh baby greens, tomatoes, French nicoise olives and toasted walnuts is topped with a warm tartine of chunky slices of broiled Poilane bread that is smothered in molten French Blue D'Auvergne cheese. Guaranteed to please even the most sophisticated and discerning palate! Great main dish salad for a luncheon or light supper, or serve as a first course. Goes very nicely with a bottle of French rose or local sparkling wine. Ready in under 15 minutes, start to finish!!
- 2 -3 cups fresh mixed salad greens
- 1 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons french nicoise olives
- 4 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- splash red wine vinegar, to taste
- splash extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 2 thick slices rustic poilane bread or 2 sourdough bread
- 4 generous tablespoons mild blue cheese (such as French Bleu D'Auvergne)
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide the salad greens, tomato wedges, olives and walnuts evenly into two serving dishes, tossing gently to combine.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet and toast briefly on one side only. Remove from oven and spread the blue cheese thickly on the untoasted side of each slice; return to the broiler and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until cheese is melted and bubbly, watching carefully so as not to burn. Let cool slightly before slicing into 1 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Right before serving, top each salad with a splash each of the vinegar and oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top salad with strips of the warm Poilane and blue cheese tartine, and serve with a nice glass or bottle of French rose or local sparkling wine!