Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 mins
This buttery textured parfait of tuna and salmon makes a refreshing starter for any special meal. The savory pearls of caviar topped with a sliver of creme fraiche combine elegantly with the piquant flavoured fish. It goes together very easily and the end result is very impressive and tasty! If you can't get mustard oil in your area, a good substitute is 2 TBS olive oil mixed with 1/2 TBS dry mustard powder. Cook time is chill time.
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons mustard-flavored oil
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 10 ounces tuna, fillet skinned and ground
- 10 ounces salmon fillets, skinned and ground
- 2 teaspoons peeled grated horseradish root
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons oestra black caviar or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons other black grained black caviar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons salmon roe
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1 sprig fresh chives
- Combine the shallots and 1 TBS of olive oil in a small saucepan, and saute until the shallots are translucent.
- In a medium bowl sitting on a bed of ice, combine half of the sweated shallots, all the tuna, half of the mustard oil, half of the lemon zest, all the soy sauce, 1 Tbs of the olive oil and all the coriander.
- Lightly season with coarse salt, season generously with the white pepper, mixing well with a large spoon.
- In another medium bowl sitting on a bed of ice, combine the remaining shallots, mustard oil, lemon zest, and salmon.
- Mix with the remaining olive oil, horseradish, capers, chives, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Line a sheet pan with waxed or parchment paper and lightly oil with fingers the inside of ten, 2 inch high by 2 inch diameter metal rings or molds, placing the molds on the sheet.
- Place 1 1/2 TBS of the tuna mixture in each of the ten molds, making sure to smooth the mixture with the back of a spoon.
- If available, press down with the bottom of a Worcestershire or Tabasco bottle.
- Then place 1 1/2 TBS of the salmon mixture on top, pressing down and smoothing the salmon mixture with the back of the spoon.
- Spoon approximately 1/2 teaspoon of oestra caviar on on half of the top of the salmon and approximately 1/2 teaspoon of salmon roe caviar on the other half, smoothing with the back of the spoon.
- Whip the creme fraiche until thick, stiff peaks are formed.
- Add 2 TBS of the creme fraiche, smoothing with the blade of a flat knife or small metal spatula, making sure that the creme fraiche is level with the top of the mold.
- Chill the molds in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, but preferably for 2 to 3 hours.
- To serve, place each ring or mold on a dinner plate, and gently remove the mold by pulling ring upward, leaving the parfait intact.
- Garnish each parfait with one long chive spear placed at an angle over the parfait.