Recipe by Olha
When you cannot decide whether you want a cookie or a cake to finish your meal, this dessert offers the best combination of both. The cake layers are crunchy just like cookies and the chocolate cream filling and the two toppings, caramel sauce and oatmeal topping make it a delicious cake. Although Spanish is the official language of the country, most people in Paraguay still speak the Guarani Indian language of their ancestors. In fact, it is considered a status symbol to speak the native language.
Top Review by Elisabetta
This torte was wonderful to eat, but wicked to make. It took every pot and pan in my kitchen and every bit of 14 feet of counter space. The caramel sauce hardened in the fridge (naturally) and it was a bear to cut.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal
- FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 400°F
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in lemon peel. Add butter, mixing with fingers to a bread crumb consistency. Add egg, lemon juice, and milk, kneading well. Divide dough into five equal parts. Roll out each part into a circle about 10 inches in diameter. Place circles on greased cookie sheets and bake at 400°F for 6 to 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Stack cake layers, spreading each layer with warm Chocolate Cream Filling. Pour Caramel Sauce over top and then sprinkle with Oatmeal Topping.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING: Combine cornstarch, sugar, cocoa powder, and egg yolks, mixing together well. Set aside. Heat milk over hot water. Gradually add cocoa mixture and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE: Combine sugars and water in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes without stirring. Let cool slightly.
- FOR THE OATMEAL TOPPING: Melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and oatmeal and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes lightly browned.
- The Great International Dessert Cookbook UNICEF.