Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The sour cream sauce in this potato dish is typically Hungarian. Serve this with a roast and sauerkraut.
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 small bell pepper, stems and seeds removed,diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large, shallow pan, saute the onion and garlic in the bacon drippings until soft.
- Add the paprika, cayenne, bell pepper, and caraway seeds and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, wine, and black pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
- Add water as necessary but maintain a thick consistency.
- Stir in the sour cream and simmer until heated through.
This was good and spicy. I had to use regular paprika and lite sour cream (it's all I had on hand). I will definitely try again with proper paprika and sour cream! Thanks for posting.