4 hrs 45 mins
Perfect for any holiday or special occasion worth remembering. Make sure the turkey is completely dry before rubbing with the paprika butter. The paprika butter can be formed into a log, wrapped in plastic or wax paper and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month. MAKE AHEAD: Prepare the bread salad through Step 2 earlier in the day and store it at room temperature in a covered container. Reheat the scallion mixture and toss with the toasted bread just before serving. Wine: A Medium-light Gewürztraminer is ideally suited the hot paprika in the glaze, while its fruitiness will complement the turkey meat. Look for Machmer Bechtheimer Stein Gewürztraminer Spätlese 2003 from Germany or the Lynskeys Gewürztraminer Marlborough Wairau Peaks Vineyard 2002 from New Zealand. Recipe adapted from Marcia Kiesel of Food and Wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 18 lbs turkey, at room temperature, neck and giblets reserved for another use
- 3 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups rich turkey stock (Rich Turkey Stock) or 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups homemade chicken stock
Pumpkin Seed Bread Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs loaf crusty country Italian bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 small celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup salted shelled pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup medium-dry sherry, such as Amontillado
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 3In a medium bowl, blend butter with the paprikas and 1 tablespoon of the chopped thyme leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate 6 tablespoons of the paprika butter (for the gravy). Carefully loosen the turkey breast skin and Spread 4 tablespoons of the remaining paprika butter under the skin and rub it evenly over the breast. Rub 2 more tablespoons of the paprika butter all over the outside of the turkey.
- 4Place turkey in a large roasting pan and roast in the lower third of the oven for about 45 minutes.
- 5Then, add 2 cups the water and bay leaves to the pan and roast the turkey for 1 hour longer.
- 6Add white wine and the remaining 1 cup of water and continue roasting the bird for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then loosely cover the breast with foil.
- 7Roast the turkey for 1 hour longer, or until a thermometer inserted into an inner thigh registers 165°.
- 8Transfer turkey to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- 9Pour the pan juices into a large measuring cup and skim off the fat. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- 10Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of refrigerated paprika butter in the 2 tablespoons of reserved fat. Stir in flour and whisk in the Rich Turkey Stock. Cook over moderately high heat, frequently whisking, until thickened and smooth. Whisk in pan juices and simmer over moderate heat, whisking from time to time, until no floury tastes remains, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the remaining 2 teaspoons thyme and remaining 4 tablespoons of paprika butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- 11Carve the turkey and serve with the gravy and the Pumpkin Seed Bread Salad.
- 12Pumpkin Seed Bread Salad:.
- 13Preheat the oven to 400°.
- 14Slice the bread 1 inch thick. Pull the bread into coarse shreds. Spread the shreds of bread on 2 large, baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- 15Bake bread on upper and lower oven racks for about 20 minutes, alternating racks halfway through, until the shreds are golden brown and lightly crisp. Let cool.
- 16Melt butter in a medium skillet. Add garlic and cook over low heat, stirring a couple times, until fragrant and golden brown, appx. 3 minutes. Add scallions and sliced celery and cook over low heat, stirring a couple times, until the scallions are softened but the sliced celery is still slightly crisp, about 6 minutes.
- 17Right before serving the bread salad, transfer the bread to a very large bowl. Add the toasted pumpkin seeds and chopped celery leaves. Reheat the scallion mixture over moderately high heat until sizzling. Stir in sherry and simmer briefly. Scrape the scallion mixture over the bread in the bowl and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paprika Turkey With Pumpkin Seed Bread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (884 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1518.9
- Calories from Fat 725
- Total Fat 80.6 g
- Saturated Fat 27.0 g
- Cholesterol 503.7 mg
- Sodium 900.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 147.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rich turkey stock