1/1 Photo of Paprika Tomatoes With Poached Eggs (Shakshouka)
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
Traditionally, cooks in Tunisia use a lot of olive oil when making this one-pan tomato and egg dinner, but this recipe has cut the oil way back in this lighter version. Serve with crusty bread. Recipe is from Sunset Edible Garden Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large poblano chile, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Put coriander, cumin, paprika, and salt in a mortar and pound until crushed; or seal in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add garlic and pound into a paste. Set aside.
- 2Cook chile in 1 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, until well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add spice mixture and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in 3/4 cup water, then tomatoes. Cook, turning tomatoes occasionally, until softened, 10 to 20 minutes; add more water (1/4 cup at a time) if mixture starts to get dry (you should see juices).
- 3Make 4 depressions in tomato mixture with a wooden spoon and crack an egg into each. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until eggs are set, but yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes.
- 4Drizzle the shakshouka with 1 tablespoons oil (or more if you like), then scoop onto plates and serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paprika Tomatoes With Poached Eggs (Shakshouka)
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.1
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 875.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 18.1 g