1 hr 5 mins
A celebration of paprika.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon freshly rendered lard or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup anaheim green peppers, seeded and chopped or 1 cup cubanelle pepper, chopped but not seeded
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 6 cups beef stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Heat a 5-quart heave stove-top casserole and add the lard and paprika. Cook over medium heat for a moment and then add the garlic, green pepper, onion and tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes until all is tender. Add the chicken base and Beef Stock, along with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2In a metal bowl, mix the sour cream and flour together. Mix it well with a wire whip as you do not want lumps. Add a cup of the gravy from the pot and quickly stir it into the cream and flour with the whisk.
- 3Remove the gravy from the heat and stir in the cream mixture, whipping it well. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- 4Strain the gravy and discard the solids -- or lumps, if you have any.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paprika Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (2194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1144.8
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.2 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 131.7 mg
- Sodium 5585.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 36.3 g