Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
A celebration of paprika.
Make and share this Paprika Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon freshly rendered lard or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup anaheim green peppers, seeded and chopped or 1 cup cubanelle pepper, chopped but not seeded
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 6 cups beef stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat a 5-quart heave stove-top casserole and add the lard and paprika. Cook over medium heat for a moment and then add the garlic, green pepper, onion and tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes until all is tender. Add the chicken base and Beef Stock, along with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a metal bowl, mix the sour cream and flour together. Mix it well with a wire whip as you do not want lumps. Add a cup of the gravy from the pot and quickly stir it into the cream and flour with the whisk.
- Remove the gravy from the heat and stir in the cream mixture, whipping it well. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Strain the gravy and discard the solids -- or lumps, if you have any.
This was an AWESOME recipe! I used veg. broth (because that's what I had) still was great. (and a fantastic vegetarian recipe!!!) Ate it over spaetzle (German egg noodle) which is definitely the way to go. Tastes like true comfort food, and made me happy.