Recipe by Jana Steinhagen
A hearty beef stew with red peppers, flavoured with Paprika, serve with Tagliatelle or Potato Dumplings
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Made this for dinner and served over hot buttered noodles. Such an easy dinner and I made it even easier by frying everything as directed and then dumping in the crock pot and letting it go on low for 5 hours. This was a plus for several reasons, the obvious of the ease of making and since I used stew meat made it come out tender with all the flavors blended into it. I used smoked paprika and did add some cumin seeds. We like spicy so the chili was a nice addition
- 500 g diced beef
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 500 ml stock
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon plain flour mixed with water
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the beef in Salt, Pepper and Paprika.
- Fry the beef in the oil until browned all over.
- add the onions and fry until they are slightly browned as well.
- add the peppers, garlic, more paprika powder and tomato paste and continue frying over a lower heat to marry and coat everything well.
- add the stock, bring to a simmer and check the seasoning.
- simmer for 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.
- add the flour/water to thicken the stew.
- continue cooking for a few minutes.
- serve with Tagliatelle, Spaetzle or Potato dumplings and a dollop if sour cream if desired
- bon apetit!