Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Taste of Home. How many different ways are there to cook chicken? As I look through my endless supply of chicken recipes, I think I must be determined to find out! In this dish, mushrooms and red and green peppers add color and flavor to the chicken pieces in a creamy paprika sauce.
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) broiler or 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked noodles
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown chicken in oil and butter;remove chicken. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Saute mushrooms, onion and peppers in the drippings until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add broth,stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a platter of noodles; keep warm .
- Add sour cream to sauce; stir until smooth (do not boil).
- Spoon over chicken and noodles.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.