Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You can make the paprika chicken up to 2 hours ahead. Cook, covered, over low heat.
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup sour cream
- Combine the flour and paprika in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and gently toss to evenly coat in flour mixture.
- Melt the butter in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat until foaming.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until brown all over. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the oil in the casserole dish over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until well combined.
- Add the chicken, tomato, water and bay leaf, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the sour cream and stir to combine. Cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide chicken among serving plates and serve immediately.