Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A Hungarian dish
- 3 lbs chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cut the chicken legs to separate the thighs and drumsticks. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towles. Remove as much fat as possible. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat teh oil over med-hi heat in a large Dutch oven. Use tongs to add the chicken pieces in a single layer; do not crowd. Cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked pieces to a platter and set aside. Repeat until all the chicken is browned.
- Add the onions to the oven and cook until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven. Add the paprika, water, cover, and simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and keep warm.
- In a separate med bowl, stir the flour into the sour cream until well blended. Add the mixture to the Dutch oven and cook until the sauce thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour over the chicken and serve.