Recipe by Jen T
One for when you don't want to turn the oven on! Made on top of the stove in a frypan with a lid or a saucepan. This comes from my book of 'Classic Kiwi Recipes' Note:Based on the reviews I realised that I use a frypan with a steam hole in the lid so that some of the liquid evaporates. I have altered the recipe to use only 1/2 cup water so that should help too. When bringing the liquids to the boil for the 2-3 mins make sure you do this without the lid to evaporate the liquids to your preference before adding the chicken back in and the sour cream. I hope this extra information helps those who would also like to try this dish. :)
Top Review by PaulaG
I made this for Random Tag. It is a nice quick dinner for a summers evening. Made this using boneless chicken breasts which had been flattened for more even cooking and increased the paprika by approximately half. I agree that the sauce was a little on the thin side and probably would have been better to have thickened it up a little bit. Served it with a side salad and brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion (peeled & chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1⁄2 green pepper (sliced in strips)
- 1⁄2 red pepper (sliced in strips)
- 4 chicken thighs (I use breasts) or 4 chicken breasts (I use breasts)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or more according to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or oil in a frypan which has a lid, add onion, tomatoes, and peppers.
- Fry until onion is lightly browned.
- Add chicken and cook with lid on for approx 20-30mins on med to low heat turning chicken at least twice.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Stir in the paprika, sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil for 2-3 mins without the lid.
- Reduce heat to med and return chicken to pan, cover again and cook for 15mins.
- Just before serving stir in the sour cream.
- Reheat but dont allow to boil.
- Serve over rice or noodles.