Recipe by Jen T
Low fat, stove top cooking. Goes well with mashed potatoes, jacket baked potatoes, rice, pasta or noodles.
Top Review by Bergy
This is an easy tasty recipe plus the fact that it is low fat - very impressive. I used stir fry beef instead of cubes simply because I had it on hand. Worked reallywell cut the cooking time by over half. Lovely flavor from the paprika (I used hot) Thanks Jen T for another excellent recipe
- 500 g lean stewing beef (In NZ I use topside steak)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cups mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef stock powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any fat from the meat and cut into cubes.
- Brown in a little hot oil. Do this in batches to keep from 'stewing'.
- Return all meat to pan and add onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato paste, paprika, stock powder and first measure of water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1-11/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Mix the cornflour with the 2 Tbsp water and stir into the beef.
- Heat for a few minutes until thickened.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley if liked.