Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Low fat, stove top cooking. Goes well with mashed potatoes, jacket baked potatoes, rice, pasta or noodles.
- 500 g lean stewing beef (In NZ I use topside steak)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cups mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef stock powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Remove any fat from the meat and cut into cubes.
- Brown in a little hot oil. Do this in batches to keep from 'stewing'.
- Return all meat to pan and add onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato paste, paprika, stock powder and first measure of water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1-11/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Mix the cornflour with the 2 Tbsp water and stir into the beef.
- Heat for a few minutes until thickened.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley if liked.
This is an easy tasty recipe plus the fact that it is low fat - very impressive. I used stir fry beef instead of cubes simply because I had it on hand. Worked reallywell cut the cooking time by over half. Lovely flavor from the paprika (I used hot) Thanks Jen T for another excellent recipe
great recipe -so easy to do-have made if for tomorrow night -Jewish New Year.