Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Bon Appetit magazine. I use broccoli because I can't get broccoli Rabe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, flattened
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems sliced into 1/2 inch pieces and tops cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) packagedried pappardelle pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and cook until golden brown stirring frequently.
- Discard garlic.
- add onion, pancetta and fennel seeds to skillet.
- Saute until onion is tender and pancetta begins to brown.
- Add dried crushed red pepper and broccoli stems.
- Cook about 4 minutes, stir in broccoli tops and sprinkle with salt and 1 cup water.
- Cover and steam about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Reserve one cup pasta water and drain pasta.
- Add pasta to broccoli and stir over low heat to combine, adding reserved pasta water by tablespoon if needed.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons oil and 1 cup cheese.
- Top with toasted pine nuts.