Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in Cooking Light in an article about fresh spring vegetables. This one uses two of those, baby artichokes and asparagus. Baby artichokes are tiny artichokes (usually no bigger than a large egg) that are completely edible (except the stem). For proper-sized baby artichokes, only the outer-most layer of leaves needs to be pulled off. If your artichokes are bigger than egg-sized, it is a good idea to remove the leaves until you get to the heart to avoid any bitterness. Pappardelle is a very wide ribbon pasta. If you can't find it, use the widest ribbon pasta you can find (usually fettuccine). And if you are like me and usually forget to reserve pasta water, a little chicken broth or even the soaking water from the artichokes can be used. Vegan without cheese or with a substitute.
- 12 ounces pappardelle pasta, uncooked
- 2 1⁄4 cups cold water, divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 24 baby artichokes (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into (1-inch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Set pasta aside; keep warm.
- Combine 2 cups water and juice in a medium bowl. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem to within 1/4-inch from the base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom; trim about 1/2 inch from top of artichoke. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise. Place artichoke halves in lemon water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain artichokes well; pat dry. Add artichokes to pan. Cover and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally; uncover. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 2 minutes or until artichokes are golden, stirring frequently. Place artichokes in a large bowl.
- Place pan over medium heat; add remaining 1/4 cup water and asparagus to pan. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add asparagus, parsley, and rind to artichokes; toss well. Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, salt, and pepper to artichoke mixture; toss well. Place 2 cups pasta mixture into each of 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons cheese.