Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From Real Simple - January 2011
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb assorted mushroom, sliced (button, cremini, shitake)
- 12 ounces pappardelle pasta or 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the beef with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until slightly darkened, about 1 minute more.
- Return the beef to the saucepan and add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until the beef is fork-tender, 60-75 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the saucepan and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 10-12 minutes more. If sauce is too thin, simmer, uncovered, until thickened to the desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot. Add the beef ragu and Parmesan and toss. Serve with additional Parmesan.