Recipe by Sharon123
A pasta dish without the pasta! This is taken from the Union Square Cafe's opening night menu in the Union Square Cafe Cookbook. Enjoy!
- 1 lb zucchini, washed, ends trimmed (2 medium)
- 1 lb yellow squash, washed, trimmed (2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, cut in thin ribbons
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the zucchini and squash lengthwise into 1/8" strips on a mandoline.(If you don't have a mandoline, the backside of a spatula shaped cheese slicer works just as well). Be sure the slices are not stuck together.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- Just before olive oil begins to smoke, add the cut squash and stir.
- Keep stirring for 3-4 minutes, or until squash strips are barely wilted.
- Add the white wine, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Toss in the basil and tomatoes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, heavy cream, and half of the Parmasen cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Serve immediately with the remaining Parmesan sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!