Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A pasta dish without the pasta! This is taken from the Union Square Cafe's opening night menu in the Union Square Cafe Cookbook. Enjoy!
- 1 lb zucchini, washed, ends trimmed (2 medium)
- 1 lb yellow squash, washed, trimmed (2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, cut in thin ribbons
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Slice the zucchini and squash lengthwise into 1/8" strips on a mandoline.(If you don't have a mandoline, the backside of a spatula shaped cheese slicer works just as well). Be sure the slices are not stuck together.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- Just before olive oil begins to smoke, add the cut squash and stir.
- Keep stirring for 3-4 minutes, or until squash strips are barely wilted.
- Add the white wine, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Toss in the basil and tomatoes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, heavy cream, and half of the Parmasen cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Serve immediately with the remaining Parmesan sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!
This was pretty good, but I think I needed more zucchini as I had lots of sauce, kind of a pain to cut up the squash though. But tasted good.
This is great! It offers so much sauce that you don't need another sauce or saucy dish to go well with pasta. I served it atop pappardelle pasta with Salmon Cakes. Thanks, Sharon123! Made for Aussie New Zealand Swap #20.
Giving this 5 big stars because I know I'll be making it again! Don't be afraid of the title (pappardelle... yikes) - yes, you can make it! Very easy to put together and I was able to use up lots of veggies from my garden. Also a very versatile recipe that adapts easily to what you have on hand! Yum!! Made for PRMR tag.