Recipe by MsPia
There are many version of Boscaiola all over Italy depending on the region, but the ingredient they ALWAYS have to have are mushrooms.
Top Review by Spice Princess
An excellent, hearty pasta dish! I'm a vegetarian, so I used Sharon123's Recipe #422858 for the bacon, otherwise made exactly as directed. This has all my favorite goodies in it, so it's definitely going on my "to make again" list! Thanks so much for sharing.
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta, fresh
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 3⁄4 lb wild mushroom
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3⁄4 lb canned tomato
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Steep the dried mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes, then mince them and add them to the cultivated mushrooms. Strain the steeping liquid, since it may contain sand, and add it to the sauce as well.
- Clean and dice the mushrooms.
- Sauté shallots , bacon and herbs for a few minutes in 4 tablespoons of oil in a casserole. Add the mushrooms, cook another minute, and then add a half cup of wine and the tomatoes.
- Season with a little pepper add mushroom reserved liquid and simmer the mixture over a very gentle flame for a 15 minutes.
- In the meantime bring pasta water to a boil, salt it, and cook the pappardelle.
- Add heavy cream to the sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Drain the pappardelle and season them with the sauce; serve them with grated cheese.